Saturday, July 30, 2011

Zucchini Bread! It's that time of year...

Why do I do this every year?  It gets hot outside and I get the urge to bake.  Last year I got on a homemade bread kick.  Oh yeah.  Let's heat up the whole house.  Great idea!  That way I can make sure that my air conditioner gets its workout.  I exercise myself, my dog, my kid...  why not the A/C?  Environment be damned! 

As you may or may not know, when it gets hot, you'd better pick your zucchini fast or it will take over your garden and your life.  Plus, they get mealy when they are too large.  If they do go Incredible Hulk on you, they won't make nice fixings for your salad or stir fry.  All you can do is bake bread.  That's where I am now.  The ritual has begun.  My mother was a zucchini bread factory during the summers when I was a kid, and that's exactly what I seem to be becoming now that I'm growing zucchini of my own.  

It's not all bad.  It's work, but at least I get some rocking zucchini bread out of the deal.  Here's my adaptation on the New Good Housekeeping Cookbook's Zucchini Bread.  Generally, this is my go-to cookbook.  I love that the recipe makes 2 loaves per batch!  I add more zucchini, because I think it's too dry with the 2 cups in the original recipe, and I lay it on thick with the lemon zest.  I say, the more the merrier.  Plus, I made it with whole wheat flour instead of all purpose white.  Made it twice without walnuts, and it was nice and light.  With walnuts it was like a meal.  Both are wonderful and received compliments from food-savvy friends and toddlers alike.

Angie's Scrumptious Summertime Zucchini Bread
3 cups flour (I use wheat or white whole wheat) 
1 1/2 cups sugar 
4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder 
1 teaspoon salt 
4 ounces chopped walnuts (1 cup), optional 
4 large eggs 
2/3 cup vegetable oil (I used canola) 
3 cups shredded zucchini (at least, could possibly safely go up to 4, but that might be pushing it) 
2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon peel (at least 2 tsp -- I use zest of a whole lemon, lay it on thick!) 

1.  First, make sure it is a heat advisory outside.  Just kidding!  But really...  no matter what the weather, preheat oven to 350.  Grease 2 9x5 loaf pans.  


2.  Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and walnuts in large bowl.  In medium bowl, beat eggs.  Stir in oil, zucchini, and lemon zest.  Stir into flour mixture just until moistened.  Don't over mix.  


3.  Pour batter evenly into pans.  Bake about 1 hour.  Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes.  Remove from pans and continue cooling on racks.  Serve cool, or warm with a touch of butter.

So easy and delicious!  Makes a great dessert or a breakfast!  My son and I enjoyed it this morning with some fresh strawberries and a glass of milk.  Yummy summer foods!

5 comments:

  1. My mouth is watering. Wish I had some garden fresh zucchini. Will have to stop at the farmers market for the squash so I can butter up a slice of baked goodness, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds super super yummy. We are a banana bread house, with all the bananas we have that always seem to in their semi-rotting glory in the fruit bowl. That would be a great way to get some greens (besides broccoli) in my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zucchini bread is a childhood favorite! Thanks for linking this up to the partay! Enjoy your friday! http://www.homesandbabies.com
    http://notyourordinaryrecipes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had someone make this once for me, because I tried it somewhere years ago and loved it. Thanks for this recipe! I will DEFINITELY try!

    Thanks also for signing up for Foodie Friday!
    www.voiceboks.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds yummy! I love to make quick breads-great for breakfast and snacks for my hungry teens!
    Visiting and following from VB-
    http://mamawolfe-living.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete